Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Felt Tote Bag

I have been wanting to make a tote bag for awhile and have been looking at pattern after pattern and frankly they confuse me. I can sew but simple things. Straight things. Zippers frighten me. So last week I was blog hopping and came across something from Martha. A "Felt Shopping Tote" and I thought ok felt, I can work with that and for some reason I have ALOT of felt on hand. No idea why. I printed the pattern out and pieced it together. Pinned it to the fabric, cut it out, stitched it up and I got myself a tote.






Of course I had to add some bling to it. I rolled a bunch of flowers from cotton/poly blend fabric and attached them by sewing them on at first but after breaking about six needles because I had so much glue holding the flowers together I ended up glueing them on with a felt glue.
Now the bag is felt and I'm not sure actually how much stuff I could put in it.
I was thinking perhaps a couple of books to go back and forth from the library or running some errands (I hate plastic bags that stores give you)
I was thinking I might add some bias tape around the exposed edges and handles to give them some more stability. Overall I love it. Very simple to make. And the cost is small.

I recommend using a 72" wide felt and all you need is 1/2 a yard that way you won't have a seam on the handles but 1 yard of 36" wide felt would work too.
Embellish the tote before you stitch the front and back together. I was worried I would glue them together attaching the flowers.
I am thinking of trying another material perhaps something like a canvas, something that doesn't need the edges finished. Joann's had some real pretty outdoor canvas in stock last week. I have worked with it before and its quite durable and easy to work with.

Ain't she pretty ?????


Linking up to the following parties.

lil luna link party button

Catch a Glimpse Button

HookingupwithHoH

 

7 comments:

  1. I love the fun colours you used for the flowers!! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This purse is AMAZING! I want one now! :) You are one talented woman who has definitely got a creative flair that I envy! Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Not sure how I ended up here, but so glad I did. I'm your newest follower. Btw, life after 40 is fabulous!!!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bag. It really came out amazing. I read your "About Me"...I'm 42 and I'm thinking life after 40 is pretty awesome so far. I know myself better than I ever have before. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much. Looking forward to keeping up with your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this. What a great idea to make out of felt. And the flowers....adore!!!!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this turned out fabulous! i love it! if you ever feel like making me one i wouldn't complain :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Amber....I wouldn't complain either if you made me one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...